Friday, March 29, 2013

Significance of Saturday

Easter is one of my favorite times of the year.  When I was younger I LOVED decorating eggs and receiving candy and goodies in my basket.  It was another holiday where I got gifts other than Christmas and my birthday!
As I got older, I began to discover the personal meaning of Easter to me and what the significance of this beautiful weekend is.  The day that Jesus completely surrendered himself to be beaten and killed for our sin.  He became human so he could live and walk on this earth to go through the things we go through so that we can have eternal life through salvation.  What an amazing God we serve!
In Matthew we read about when Jesus went to the garden to pray, 

He fell facedown and prayed, “My Father! If it is possible, let this cup pass from Me. Yet not as I will, but as You will.
-Matthew 26:39

He was obviously struggling with what was to come and did not want to go through what he knew would be an awful, painful crucifixion.  But He did it anyway, He was obedient to His father and went forward in faith. 

One of my favorite songs right now is "Beautiful, Scandalous Night" and the chorus says this:



At the wonderful, tragic, mysterious treeOn that beautiful, scandalous night you and me
We're atoned by His blood and forever washed whiteOn that beautiful, scandalous night



THAT is what Easter is all about, and that is why Easter is my favorite time of the year.  
On Good Friday we remember the Last Supper and the act of Jesus surrendering himself to be crucified for us.  We remember His body that was sacrificed and His blood that was shed because we are all sinners and couldn't do anything to save ourselves.  
On Sunday we celebrate His resurrection, we celebrate His faithfulness and rejoice in the fact that He is alive and living in all of us today.  
But what about Saturday?  What does Saturday symbolize?  I heard Max Lucado say that the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday symbolizes the time of waiting in anticipation.  That place when you have been given a promise from God but you have not seen that promise yet.  The waiting season, oh how we all enjoy that!  I can definitely say I'm in a waiting season right now and this Easter season has definitely restored my hope.  This Saturday is all about clinging to the promises that God has given us and waiting patiently for His timing.  Before Jesus ascended into Heaven, He left us with another promise:

And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. He is the Spirit of truth. The world is unable to receive Him because it doesn’t see Him or know Him. But you do know Him, because He remains with you and will be in you.  I will not leave you as orphans; I am coming to you.
-John 14:16-18

Wherever you are today, whatever your season you are in, go back to His promises.  Cling to what you know is true and keep your faith in Him.  He is always with you and He will never leave you. 

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment